#109: Zumanity vs. Absinthe

When we saw Absinthe, like most everybody else, we thought it was funny, very entertaining and completely original. In this episode of the Living in Las Vegas Podcast, we may have not been completely correct. (Oh, and we try our hand at golf. It’s not pretty.) Show notes:

icon for podpress  Show #109 [50:05m]: Download

Now on the VEGAS VIDEO NETWORK

Comments

10 Responses to “#109: Zumanity vs. Absinthe”

1. Troy in Las Vegas
    June 2nd, 2011 3:19 pm

Wow. That tongue dance you did at 1:24? No wonder Naught Jelly Sweet married you!

2. Troy in Las Vegas
    June 4th, 2011 12:53 pm

There is another show with “…A show with kind of a sleezy guy and a cute goofy funny ditzy girl who does all the funny lines…” Hmmm…let me think about that…
    Oh yeah….Living in Las Vegas.

June 4th, 2011 1:01 pm

Oh, man. That’s not right!

Melissa’s not ditzy!! Hell, she’s a hellava lot smarter than me! (Though, come to think of it, that isn’t a very high bar.)

4. Troy in Las Vegas
    June 4th, 2011 1:08 pm

I think the reason Zumanity gets bad reviews is the same reason Believe gets bad reviews…they are not what people expect based on other Cirque shows they see. They go into Zu or Believe expecting to see Mystere or KA and it is certainly not that.

Alan Silva, the “little guy”, is one of the coolest people I have had the chance to meet. A super nice guy. He has unfortunately been involved in a couple of accidents while doing silks that has held him back and have taken a lot of time to recover. This is probably why he was not on silks that night.

Edie, the Mistress of Sensuality is played by Christopher Kenney who is also super nice and a class act.

In fact come to think about it, having met most of the cast more than once outside of the work environment I have found everyone to be very cool.

June 4th, 2011 10:14 pm

Alan looked like he KILLED it on the video. Would have liked to see him perform!

6. Duane
    June 5th, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks you for finally being the first to see through the facade that is Absent :) this is nothing more than a low budget, though decently done, version of Zumanity. We saw Zumanity at Christmas and were blown away by it, on Ka to me was more entertaining of the Cirque shows. I think much of the bad talk on Zumanity is from those expecting the big production values of the rest of the Cirque repertoire, all big theatrical productions, while Zumanity relys on being truly entertaining from start to finish in every aspect of the word entertaining. The show is sexy as hell for both sexes, makes you laugh your ass off many times and holds you spellbound during the acrobatic segments and theatrical segments. No other Cirque show can claim to be as diverse in entertainment value.

June 5th, 2011 11:18 pm

My pleasure, Duane. Thanks for watching the show!

8. Troy in Las Vegas
    June 12th, 2011 10:13 am

I meant that only with the utmost respect. :)

June 12th, 2011 10:38 pm

Understood, Troy. We kid the ones we love!

10. Mark
    September 19th, 2011 5:46 pm

While I admit that I saw Zumanity shortly after it first opened, I was very much hoping to get a funny, sexy show that pushed the envelope. Instead I found it boring and predictable and NOT sexy at all. Don’t get me wrong – the performers were great. Totally amazing! I just thought the show was boring and nothing new.

Absinthe was totally refreshing and had me laughing my (sore from the uncomfortable chairs) end off! Yeah, some of the acrobatics seemed like retreads from Zumanity or even Mystere, but the intimacy of the environment and the “what the hell is going to happen next!” vibe just made it seem more entertaining and risqué!

Perhaps Zumanity has improved in the many years since I saw it. Or maybe I saw it on an off night, but I know that after seeing Absinthe the first thing I said as my wife and I were walking out of the big tent was how they accomplished what Zumanity failed at with a fraction of the production budget.