Guess How Much Street Performers on The Strip Earn

When we first moved to Las Vegas, a trip to The Strip would occasionally include bumping into some form of street performing Elvi (the plural for Elvis, I believe) or showgirl.  You see them downtown as well. You get your picture taken with them, and then give ‘em a tip as thanks.

Have you ever wondered how much these folks make?

Me, too.

The local Fox news station did a short story on street performers — about how they’ve gone from Elvis and showgirls to KISS’ Gene Simmons, Storm Troupers, Spiderman, and Austin Powers.  The gist of the piece was that some street vendors who sell a product are angry that the street performers don’t have to go through the same permit and licensing requirements as they do.  It’s an interesting debate, but what REALLY got my attention is how much a street performer can make.

According to “Gene”, he makes between $75 to $400 a day sticking a fake tongue in his mouth and posing for pictures.  For a five-day-a-week, fifty-weeks-a-year gig, that averages to $59,375.  But what REALLY REALLY got my attention is what the Storm Trouper makes.

The reported wrapped up the piece by saying that she heard the Storm Trouper “can make seven to eight hundred dollars. . .just amazing!”

What?!?!  $700-$800 a day?!?!?

Yep, go out and buy a Storm Trouper costume, and prepare yourself to make as much as $200,000 a year.

Which begs the question:

Do They Have Storm Trouper Costume in XL?

May the source (of revenue) be with you.

The Living in Las Vegas Podcast has joined the VEGAS VIDEO NETWORK, an online broadcasting network that specializes in insider news and expert views about Las Vegas.
If you are looking for great Las Vegas Video, check it out!

Comments

7 Responses to “Guess How Much Street Performers on The Strip Earn”

1. ann
    June 25th, 2010 12:14 pm

That is a load of bull, I know someone who does street performing and there are days they are lucky to make $30.00
    This reporter has got her head screwed on wrong!

2. Sonny
    June 25th, 2010 1:02 pm

The local Vegas media loves to exaggerate! The only person that would really know is the artist and I’m sure they are fabricating about their income. What person in their right mind would pay to see one of these fakes?……….Of course, on second thought Vegas is full of crazy people.

3. The Vegas Tourist
    June 25th, 2010 4:23 pm

How many of you fudge the figures when filling out the surveys to win that new car at the mall or the census information?? Yea,,, “Opps, did I say I made THAT much??”

Plus, what would it take for YOU to wear a bulky storm trooper suit and parade around in 100 plus degree heat?? No Thanks…

June 25th, 2010 4:39 pm

Wow! 2/3 call the performers liars. 1/3 said it’s too damn hot to be running around in a costume in Las Vegas heat.

Guess there’s little concern that the street performers will be faced with increased competition from the LiLV Podcast gang!

5. Vegas Showgirl
    September 18th, 2012 1:57 am

I currently am I street performer in Las Vegas. It cracks me up to see all these people doubting that any lame-o could pick the right costume and make more than they do with their college degrees. I assure you, if they are out there day after day, it is worth it. On a bad day, I don’t make less than $25/hr. I have made as much as $100/hr (usually holiday weekends) on those days, I do not doubt that a Storm Trooper could be out from 2pm-10,11pm and make $700-$800. I understand that people with “real” jobs don’t want to believe it. Everyday at work I get comments like “better not quit your day job” “hope you don’t have kids to feed on this jobs income” “this must be a side job, like for fun”… We hear it all! Now don’t get my wrong, there are the characters that wear a red shirt, paint their face yellow, and hold a sign that says “Bart Simpson”… He is the guy that’s lucky to make $30 in 5 hours. My costume cost $1200 and I am constantly cleaning it and doing minor repairs to keep it up. (I pose as a Showgirl) If it’s something you wouldn’t mind trying, do your homework like I did! Go to Fremont St and watch. See which characters are constantly taking pics with tourist, see how asking for tips works better than a tip jar insinuating that a tip might be nice, invest in a good costume, talk to the characters about rules… Trust me, this was the easiest gig to get started, and working 4 hours for $200 cash makes it worth it every night!!

6. Paul
    October 14th, 2012 4:28 pm

I’m thinking about being a street performer myself . I have no experience and it seems this is about the fastest get it. I love entertaining and the showgirl comment really gave me some insight.
    thanx showgirl !!! oh ya I bet I took a picture with you.

7. How Much Do Beggars and Street Performers Make? — My Personal Finance Journey
    October 22nd, 2013 6:00 am

[…] Vegas, some of the street performers dressed up like Gene Simmons and a Storm Trooper make the hourly equivalent of