70: One is Good, One is Bad: Las Vegas Hiking, Las Vegas Real Estate Agents

[Let’s set the mood. . .it’s a Saturday night. . .the studio lights have been dimmed. . .the red wine is ready and willing. . .what better time to record a Living in Las Vegas Podcast?]

Professionalism?  Las Vegas Real Estate “Professionals” calling.  We’re a little lost, here.  Can you send somebody over?

Okay, this wasn’t meant to be the main topic. . .and it’s not. . .but, for the love of all things reasonable, get it together Las Vegas real estate folks!  You’re making those of us who live here look bad!

On a positive note, after ranting about the nasty issues of real estate, this edition of the Living in Las Vegas Podcast talks about three places to hike, two of which I deemed “hiked” even though my definition of hiked and Melissa’s were not completely in line.  Show notes:

• PHOTOS! (of the studio, post-show)
  • Weather (heat advisory) / LiLV Pool (3 degrees from perfection)
  • LiLV Stuff
    • Listener Line: 206.312.0105
    • Sign up of Email Alerts (form found on right side of our website)
  • Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce Business Education Series
  • Thoughts on Las Vegas Podcasts
  • Mojito Recipe?
  • Summerlin Hospital RANT
  • Summerlin vs. Aliante
  • Real Estate Idiots
  • Listener Email: Real Estate Idiots +2, Holiday Festivities
  • Listener Audio: Where’s my strings, Mike?!?!
  • Hiking in Las Vegas
    • Red Rock
    • Valley of Fire
    • Mt. Charleston

Now on the VEGAS VIDEO NETWORK

Comments

16 Responses to “70: One is Good, One is Bad: Las Vegas Hiking, Las Vegas Real Estate Agents”

1. Slashdogx
    August 30th, 2009 9:02 am

Hello Scott – Link to ‘This Aint Iowa’ is not working above. It is http://www.notiowa.com.

2. Fletcher Canyon « Loving Vegas Living
    August 30th, 2009 11:36 am

[…] for a good laugh and interesting information about, well, living in Las Vegas. They recorded a podcast later that evening, and Melissa gave an amusing

3. Cheryl
    August 30th, 2009 11:45 am

You forgot about two great places to check out Christmas lights in Las Vegas. Ethel M’s chocolate factory in Henderson lights up their cactus garden every year, and it is spectacular. Also in Henderson, out on Boulder Highway, the Clark County Museum decorates their historic homes with Christmas decorations from that period. Both places are worth checking out any time of year, but they are particularly charming during the holidays.

August 30th, 2009 3:09 pm

Thanks Slashdog and Cheryl!

5. Ted Newkirk
    August 31st, 2009 12:32 am

Hell of a fun show!

I absolutely agree that if most Las Vegas podcasts cross-linked and didn’t shy away from mentioning each other, it would do everyone good. At you noted… at this point in time, the combined downloads of all of them are still probably a sidebar on the scale of visitor information numbers.

And… I don’t say that in a condescending way. I started my newsletter with 462 subscribers who signed on as a result of reading me at alt.vacation.las-vegas newsgroup in 1999. Always room to grow.

Granted… once any (or all) of the podcast get to where there is significant ad revenue (IE, that makes you go “Should I do this full time”), you may have to start to put the walls up. With my newsletter, I have to be careful not to even burp about (link to) anyone who might reference the “Evil Empire” (anything Greenspun). Hence my inability to cooperate as much as I’d like with podcasts I otherwise really love and respect.

But… every Las Vegas podcast is SO different, that I don’t see the competition with all of you right now.

Until you pull the “full time gig” numbers, a rising tide truly does lift all boats. I know from experience in my first few years of my newsletter. Scott… as you have found out from pulling five figures just off your show… there is $$$ out there even if a show isn’t reaching hundreds of thousands every week.

Per the realtor stuff: I think most Las Vegas realtors are simply tired of people who just want to dip their toes in the pool. LIKE three years ago, they are getting tons of calls. UNLIKE three years ago, most people are looking to pick up a $300,000 house for $50,000.

I’m not surprised they are pre-qualifying people one way or the other. With all due respect to the email writer, Las Vegas is now over-run with house hunters from out-of-town. They fly in, rent a car, get a map/GPS and blaze trails from one house to the next. Expecting a realtor to pick you up at your hotel and want to spend a couple of days running you around (unless you are looking in the $300,000-plus range at today’s prices) probably won’t happen.

Per Cheryl — No nice way to note this, but someone has to tell you:

CIA guys don’t go around advertising it to the world. At their level, the real ones are very, very, very careful. I know from having a retired CIA personnel (the kind that did the “don’t talk about it” missions) in my family. The guy you met on the airplane sounds like some guy with good game. But… hell… if it worked and you made a connection… more power to you!

Could have done without another 15 minutes of hospital talk, but that is just me.

Enjoyed the show!

6. JR
    August 31st, 2009 1:55 am

Hello,
    my 2 cents regarding the show
    … like your approach of hiking… did myself the big red rock hiking with an Audi , loved it …
    ….. Like that your dog has a middle name ……
    …Anyone knows the selling prices of the Newport lofts sold last weekend @ the auction
    …I think a lot of realtor getting a lot of leads of people want to move but never move or buy so playing with open hands like asking for preapproval or bank statement …..…

Restaurants in general: I don’t know if you ever been to http://www.hashhouseagogo.com/ a Vegas favorite of mine ….. Do you know restaurant.com. You can get coupons to a lot of nice restaurants like STripsteak, Aureole,Envy…ect…
    Normally you pay 8 bucks for an 25 off coupon with some strings attached so read it carefully before buying. If you Google the site name like ‘restaurant.com coupon’ there are often 80 % coupons out there so the true cost is maybe $ 1.60 . At the moment coupon code : TASTE (works until 1st September so be fast…)
    regards
    JR

7. Danielle
    August 31st, 2009 9:49 pm

I was fasinated when Melissa said she’d climbed to Machu Picchu. I bet that was amazing. Any pictures you can share?

September 1st, 2009 8:08 am

Danielle, Melissa tells me she has lots of picts on a dvd somewhere. We’ll see if we can find a couple to post.

September 1st, 2009 8:13 am

Great comments, Ted and JR! Thanks!

10. Troy in Las Vegas
    September 1st, 2009 4:30 pm

I have never been invited to the Whitney Villa and I only live a couple of blocks away. What up with that?

11. Troy in Las Vegas
    September 1st, 2009 4:43 pm

Quote of the show- “My ass was burning.”

That’s hot.

September 1st, 2009 4:44 pm

Maybe it’s your selection of Quote of the show!

September 1st, 2009 5:07 pm

Hey Troy, got your voice mail. . .a comments feed has been added to the RSS Feeds Page.

Good idea!

14. Troy in Las Vegas
    September 4th, 2009 9:47 am

Cool. Thanks

15. BC
    September 18th, 2009 5:58 pm

Muddle and piston for making Mojitos? My dad, a retired pharmacist, would get a kick out of your mangling (or maybe I should say muddling) of mortar and pestle.

September 19th, 2009 9:29 am

@bc Mortar and Pestle!! That’s it! I guess it’s too much to ask us to be entertaining and educated!!!